What Programs Would You Like to See at DEMCCO Meetings?
July 26, 2022
First Vice President Stuart Gaiber would like your input on the programs you think we should have at our DEMCCO meetings. Your opinion is very important. Please click on the link below and complete the survey.
Presentation on Homelessness on Saturday, July 23, 2022
July 4, 2022
Our meeting on July 23, 2022, included a presentation by Dr. David Snow, Distinguished Professor of Sociology (retired) at UC Irvine. Dr. Snow presented findings of a study done recently in Orange County on who and why people are homeless. Most of the meeting can be found on the video at this link:
- the number of homeless people is high when the population is high and there is low housing vacancy rate in the area
- the cost of homelessness is about $100,000 a year per person while persons in supported housing cost about half that amount
- homeless people in an area have lived in that area for a long time
- housing first, i.e. getting persons into suitable housing/shelter first then working with them on the services they need is much more successful than providing the services before the housing
- homelessness is a housing problem!
What Does a DEMCCO Membership Mean?
July 4, 2022
People join Democratic clubs like DEMCCO because they want to be informed about issues, elected officials, and candidates. They also want to be part of the electoral process such as helping Democrats be elected. Also, they prefer to be around others who believe in our Democratic values.
What does your membership in DEMCCO mean to you? Perhaps you want to support DEMCCO by paying the dues to enable the club to do the work needed to elect Democrats. Perhaps you want to donate money to help candidates. Or, perhaps you want to be more active by donating time to help candidates.
If you are looking for ways to help, here are some suggestions.
Volunteer for the GO Team. GO Team supports candidates by walking their neighborhood and speaking to voters about all endorsed candidates on their ballot. Data collected over the years that GO Team has been in operation show a significant increase in neighbors voting for Democratic candidates.
Volunteer for individual candidate campaigns.
- Martha Alvarado, Vista Unified School Board, D3. Link:https://www.marthaalvarado.com/
- Stacy Begin, Oceanside Unified School Board, Area 3. Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Stacy4OUSDBoard
- Priya Bhat-Patel, Carlsbad City Council, D3. Link: https://www.priyabhatpatel.com/
- Tiffany Boyd-Hodgson, San Diego Board of Supervisors, D5. Link: https://tiffanyboydhodgson.com/
- William Fischer, Trustee Mira Costa Community College, Area 7. Email DEMCCO at email@example.com
- Chris Duncan Assembly member AD 74. Link:https://www.votechrisduncan.com/
- Eric Joyce, Oceanside City Council, D1. Link: https://ericjoyce.org/
- Mike Levin, U.S. Representative, California Congressional District 49. Link: https://www.mikelevin.org/
- Nancy Licona, Oceanside Unified School Board, D1. Link: https://www.facebook.com/nancc7
- Daniel O’Donnell, Vista City Council, D4. Link:https://danforvista.com/
- Kathy Rallings, Carlsbad Unified School Board, Area 5. Link:https://re-electrallings.com/?fbclid=IwAR2hkzYtwFfnVKmxR-fpBfs83L3O8aftAinoNT0jVkl9y6yS3hTBz5B7Zv8
- Cipriano Vargas, Mayor of Vista. Link: https://www.ciprianovargas.com/
- Sam Ward, Carlsbad City Council D1. Link: https://www.wardforcarlsbad.com/
Volunteer for DEMCCO Booths at Oceanside’s Sunset Market.
DEMCCO is scheduled to have a booth at the Sunset Market on the third Thursday of July, August, September and October to register voters and talk to the public about Democratic candidates and issues. There are 2 shifts, 5 to 7 pm and 7 to 9 pm. These events have been quite effective in registering people who hadn’t had a chance to do so earlier and discussing our candidates and why they should be elected. Email DEMCCO at firstname.lastname@example.org to ask questions and sign up.