Month: July 2022
What Programs Would You Like to See at DEMCCO Meetings?
July 26, 2022
First Vice President Stuart Gaiber would like your input on the programs you think we should have at our DEMCCO meetings. Your opinion is very important. Please click on the link below and complete the survey.
Presentation on Homelessness on Saturday, July 23, 2022
July 4, 2022
Our meeting on July 23, 2022, included a presentation by Dr. David Snow, Distinguished Professor of Sociology (retired) at UC Irvine. Dr. Snow presented findings of a study done recently in Orange County on who and why people are homeless. Most of the meeting can be found on the video at this link:
- the number of homeless people is high when the population is high and there is low housing vacancy rate in the area
- the cost of homelessness is about $100,000 a year per person while persons in supported housing cost about half that amount
- homeless people in an area have lived in that area for a long time
- housing first, i.e. getting persons into suitable housing/shelter first then working with them on the services they need is much more successful than providing the services before the housing
- homelessness is a housing problem!